how to keep eth link down across reboots ?

Hi guys.

Perhaps not strictly _systemd_ question but community here surely is capable - a matter of me being lucky - how would you keep an Ethernet link/port powered down?
I was thinking I'll try first _udev_ rules - given other tools/managers are told to stay away from the link/port
Is there a better, best way to put such link/port down & keep it that way - naturally, please steer clear of "unplug the cable" type of ideas.

many thanks, L.