Re: How to properly wait for udev?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 9:29 AM Lennart Poettering
<lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On So, 26.11.23 00:39, Richard Weinberger (richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > After upgrading my main test worker to a recent distribution, the UBI
> > test suite [0] fails at various places with -EBUSY.
> > The reason is that these tests create and remove UBI volumes rapidly.
> > A typical test sequence is as follows:
> > 1. creation of /dev/ubi0_0
> > 2. some exclusive operation, such as atomic update or volume resize on
> > /dev/ubi0_0
> > 3. removal of /dev/ubi0_0
> >
> > Both steps 2 and 3 can fail with -EBUSY because the udev worker still
> > holds a file descriptor to /dev/ubi0_0.
>
> Hmm, I have no experience with UBI, but are you sure we open that? why
> would we? are such devices analyzed by blkid? We generally don't open
> device nodes unless we have a reason to, such as doing blkid on it or
> so.

I think it came via commit:
dbbf424c8b77 ("rules: ubi mtd - add link to named partitions (#6750)")

Here is the bpftrace output of a failed mkvol_basic run.
The test created a new volume and tried to delete it via ioctl().
Right after creating the volume, udev started inspecting it and mkvol_basic
was unable to delete it because the delete operation needs exclusive ownership.

mkvol_basic(530):       open() = /dev/ubi0
mkvol_basic(530):       ioctl(cmd: 1074032385)
(udev-worker)(531):     open UBI volume 0 = 0xffff96644533ac80
mkvol_basic(530):       open UBI volume 0 = 0xfffffffffffffff0
mkvol_basic(530):       failed ioctl() = -16
(udev-worker)(531):     closing UBI volume 0xffff96644533ac80

> What precisely fails for you? the open()? or some operation on the
> opened fd?

All of that. I depends on the test.
Basically every test assumes that it has the full ownership of a
volume it has created.

> > FWIW, the problem can also get triggered using UBI's shell utilities
> > if the system is fast enough, e.g.
> > # ubimkvol -N testv -S 50 -n 0 /dev/ubi0 && ubirmvol -n 0 /dev/ubi0
> > Volume ID 0, size 50 LEBs (793600 bytes, 775.0 KiB), LEB size 15872
> > bytes (15.5 KiB), dynamic, name "testv", alignment 1
> > ubirmvol: error!: cannot UBI remove volume
> >          error 16 (Device or resource busy)
> >
> > Instead of adding a retry loop around -EBUSY, I believe the best
> > solution is to add code to wait for udev.
> > For example, having a udev barrier in ubi_mkvol() and ubi_rmvol() [1]
> > seems like a good idea to me.
>
> For block devices we implement this:
>
> https://systemd.io/BLOCK_DEVICE_LOCKING
>
> I understand UBI aren't block devices though?

Exactly, UBI volumes are character devices, just like MTDs.

> If they conceptually should be considered block device equivalents, we
> might want to extend the udev logic to such UBI devices too.  Patches
> welcome.
>
> We provide "udevadm lock" to lock a block device according to this
> scheme from shell scripts.
>
> > What function from libsystemd do you suggest for waiting until udev is
> > done with rule processing?
> > My naive approach, using udev_queue_is_empty() and
> > sd_device_get_is_initialized(), does not resolve all failures so far.
> > Firstly, udev_queue_is_empty() doesn't seem to be exported by
> > libsystemd. I have open-coded it as:
> > static int udev_queue_is_empty(void) {
> >        return access("/run/udev/queue", F_OK) < 0 ?
> >                (errno == ENOENT ? true : -errno) : false;
> > }
>
> This doesn't really work. udev might still process the device in the
> background.

I see.

--
Thanks,