Re: Help! iSCSI based file systems with "_netdev" causing ordering cycles to occur (random services and mounts fail)

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 12:46 AM Tony Rodriguez <unixpro1970@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/27/23 07:06, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Do, 26.10.23 19:03, Tony Rodriguez (unixpro1970@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Experiencing this same issue with iSCSI and systemd-239 for RH8/Rocky8 and
>> RH9/Rocky9 system-252. Nothing was done on my end to create this issue.  In
>> other words, no custom mount/unit files or services, just your typical ISO
>> install and rpm updates.
>>
>> An ordering cycle occurs, when "_netdev" is specified within /etc/fstab for
>> systemd.  This happens with systemd-239-14 and systemd-239-18 using iSCSI
>> based file systems.    Seems others are experiencing this as well (see link
>> below).  I can also confirm this happens with systemd-252 (RH9/Rocky9)l.
>> Especially if "_netdev" is used with either "/var" or "/usr" iSCSI based
>> devices/file systems.  The system may not boot, may not mount file systems,
>> may not start services/unit files, and the system becomes slow during system
>> boot.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a fix/patch and root cause for this?
>>
>> Please see this link:
>> https://issues.redhat.com/browse/RHEL-12987?jql=project%20%3D%20RHEL%20AND%20affectedVersion%20%3D%20rhel-9.2.0%20AND%20text%20~%20%22iscsi%22
>>
>> # cat /etc/fstab
>> [...

1) Lennart's recommendation of removing "/tmp" within /etc/fstab and
using tmpfs for "/tmp" appears to stop the dependency issue for
systemd-239 for systemd-252.  However, RH8 and RH9 don't support
systemd-networkd, I am wondering how this can be overcome if removing
"/tmp" and using "tmpfs" aren't options?  Would I have to modify various
services and targets? What would I need to add or remove within services
and targets to avoid these dependencies?

everything on the system depends on /tmp having behaviour and semantics of a local filesystem. it is literally part of ABI if you wish. it is hardcoded everywhere
it must "be there" always and until the last minute.
Don't do that then ! it is not only systemd..

What is exactly your problem ? you cannot commit a little ram to tmpfs ?