Re: Is systemd-cryptsetup binary internal?

Hi,

/usr/lib/systemd/ is indeed the place for internal binaries with
unstable interfaces. But it's also the place where we put binaries
that we don't typically expect users to call, because they are
generally called via some well define .service unit or so only.

systemd-cryptsetup is one of the latter, we'd expect people to use
this via crypttab mostly. However, the interface is nonetheless
stable, it is a long-time part of systemd and so far we never broke
interface and I see no reason we ever would. In fact it might be a
candidate to move over to /usr/bin to make official, if there's
sufficient request for that. (such a request should be made via github
issue tracker)

Why was the decision taken to put these into /usr/lib/systemd instead of /usr/libexec/systemd/?

>   Thanks in advance for indicating, if systemd-cryptsetup (the binary) is a
> tool users may rely on.

Yes, absolutely.

The only reason when we might break things for you is when we one day
move it from /usr/lib to /usr/bin, ;-)

Hence: the call interface is certainly stable, the location in that
sense maybe not yet.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin