Question regarding configuration of SystemMaxUse and SystemKeepFree

Hi,
i am running a bunch of partly very different systems with Debian Bookworm. On this machines, i am using systemd 252 (252.12-1~deb12u1).

If i am configuring journald, i am facing the problem, that /var/log is having a very different size on all my machines. From 100M to 8G or something.

Journald states, that the configuration options SystemMaxUse and SystemKeepFree cannot be a relative, percentual value. But they are percentual values by default.

If i want to set a percentual value, journald only returns "/etc/systemd/journald.conf:25: Failed to parse size value, ignoring: 20%"

So my question is - is there any option to set a relative value/a percentage for that values? Per default, it seems to be possible. So why not a user defined percentage?

May you can help me... thanks in advance!

Best regards
Karl