Re: [multiseat] How to make automatic ACL creation via udev "uaccess" tag work for seats other than seat0?

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:13:12 +0200
Christian Pernegger <pernegger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Alright. I only played around with it in the hopes that it would help
> me get some VTs (and VT switching) on seat1. So far, no luck on that
> front.

The funny thing there is that the kernel, where the VT is implemented,
has no idea of any seat assignments. Seat management is completely a
userspace invention.

This can have some wild (security) consequences:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-/issues/434
IOW, if seat0 is running only VT, you might have keyboards from *any*
seat type into that VT *in addition* to any session running on that
other seat.

It's also common to assume, that only the default seat (seat0) can even
have VTs. I don't see how you could have VTs on multiple seats, when
the kernel simply has no concept of a seat. There is only one VT
system, and that either takes input or does not (there is an ioctl for
that). Individual input devices can only be excluded from the VT by
opening and grabbing them, meaning nothing else can get them either.

It would be best to forget the kernel VTs completely, and implement the
equivalent in userspace, which can then be seat-aware and much more
featureful (fonts, input methods) than the in-kernel VT can ever be.

E.g. kmscon: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KMSCON

Unfortunately looks like the original repository has been untouched for
a decade now. Arch seems to be using this instead:
https://github.com/Aetf/kmscon/

You might even want to aim for CONFIG_VT=n, in which case
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/10eccv9/config_vtn_in_2023/?rdt=37727
might be interesting.

Thanks,
pq