Custom Localed Configuration Location

I am trying to create a system where we can change locale on a running system (where we would have daemons subscribe to dbus
and get the properties changed messages) but need to be able to change the location of the locale file (by default in /etc/locale.conf) as /etc is read-only on our system.

Is there a way to change the file location to a writeable location as I can not find any current means to do such?
      I have tried making a sym-link to another file, but localed re-writes the whole file when called. (For PoC, made /etc writeable, but not able to do long term on our system.)

Thank you for your support.

P.S. If anyone is interested in contracting to do this work, please send me a private message outside this list.