systemd dns smart?

I was just 'cleaning up' a bit an ubuntu server from unnecessary running processes. I think I removed also some things from systemd. Now I have that some external auth that is slow due to the fact that the external auth host has two ip addresses configured. One of those ip addresses is not reachable from my ubuntu server.
This results in the default behaviour that when you do a few pings some are not replying because the ping is using the unreachable ip address.

I don't think I noticed this behaviour before, my question is now.

Is there something 'smart' in systemd that automatically prefers to use the ip address that is routable?