Re: sd-boot setup and PCRs

(whoops accidentally send this only to Felix. Resending to the mailing list too)

I wouldn't bind anything to PCR4, because it'll wipe out your decryption key on any update of any component in the boot chain. In other words: PCR4 is not rollback prevention, it's also roll forward prevention as well.

Use PCR11 to bind to that exact variant of your UKI (each UKI has a pcrsig section that should be different for each variant of the OS, which is used to verify PCR11). This means that only a UKI for a given variant of a given distro can decrypt your data.

Use PCR7 to check secure boot state.

Use PCR14 to change the deception key when someone changes MOK (otherwise someone can boot whatever they want using MOK and decrypt your drive).

Use revocation (DBX, MOKX, SBAT) to revoke vulnerable versions of kernels/etc. The ability to update these without breaking PCR7 is on the TODO list. Rollback prevention via the TPM is on the TODO list also.

> if it is possible to override kernel command line, you can trivially boot into
> /bin/sh unless you also bind LUKS key to the PCR 12 (or whatever is
> used to measure kernel parameters)

When secure boot is on, UKIs reject external command lines. The internal command line is measured into PCR11. If secure boot is off you can't trust any of the values in the PCRs anyway so no point bothering.

Best,
Adrian