Re: Support for unmerged-usr systems will be REMOVED in the second half of 2023

Nobody is retroactively changing existing systemd releases.

Stay on a previously released systemd version which will continue to have features it used to have.

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023, 15:53 Richard Purdie, <richard.purdie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2023-06-13 at 15:31 +0100, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 at 15:15, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > As previously announced, this is being prepared now and will be part of v254:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/27999
> >
> > I'd note that nobody did resolve the issues for Yocto Project yet so
> > our CI will break if we try and upgrade :(.
>
> Those issues are purely internal to Yocto's custom CI and completely
> unrelated to systemd, as they manifest without systemd being even
> enabled. The 'usrmerge' distro feature was added six years ago, in
> 2017, by Yocto developers:
>
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/poky/commit/?id=178e983cf745fe32b199e0cbfe9777270124b186
>
> If even Yocto developers cannot manage to fix internal CI issues
> created by internal features added by Yocto developers in 6 years,
> there's hardly anything outsiders could possibly do, I'm afraid.

The issue is that Yocto Project supports a variety of configurations
and systemd has decided to drop support for some of them.

Nobody has done the work to migrate the configuration combinations
being dropped in Yocto Project.

Distro features are optional in Yocto Project, we don't force people to
use them. There are plenty of people with products shipping in the wild
which do not use the "usrmerge" feature. Our own test matrix hasn't
been adjusted to force usrmerge for systemd, nor is the documentation
or migration information present for that change.

This is not an issue caused by our "internal features" and to claim
that is farcical.

Richard