Re: systemd-resolved and dhclient nameservers

Systemd-resolved can't actually see your leases all on its own; the DHCP client needs to provide it that information. Networkd and NetworkManager do it directly through the D-Bus IPC.

For standalone dhcpcd, you would likely need to install the `resolvconf` emulation that comes with systemd (usually packaged separately to avoid conflicts with the real resolvconf/openresolv), or find a hook script that would upload the configuration using resolvectl. For dhclient, probably the same.

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023, 19:50 Alex Cheamitru <apcheamitru@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm curious about whether or not dhclient-provided DNS servers will be added to resolv.conf when it is managed by systemd-resolved.  The man page mentions "... and dynamically at run time, for example from DHCP leases", but I'm not sure if that only applies to systemd-networkd leases.

To test, I emptied my current resolv.conf (which contained dhclient-provided nameservers) and started systemd-resolved.

> /etc/resolv.conf
systemctl start systemd-resolved

After doing this, I see no nameservers defined in /run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf.

Is that expected behavior?  I was hoping to see my DHCP-provided nameservers in resolv.conf, but that wasn't the case.

Thanks,
Alex