Re: how to let systemd hibernate start/stop the swap area?

On Do, 30.03.23 01:39, Christoph Anton Mitterer (calestyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Well that's clear, it's just that on my systems (both servers and
> workstations) I've never really run into the need to reclaim lots of
> anonymous memory.

It's the Linux kernel that reclaims memory for you. You don't need to
reclaim that yourself, personally, you know.

The thing is simply: RAM is best used for stuff that is actually
accessed. If you prohibit that you just make the overall behaviour of
the system worse. The kernel is pretty good at figuring out what is
needed in RAM and what is not. Except of course if you don't let it,
and force it to keep useless stuff in memory.

> Since you're anyway rather against the whole idea,... I assume you
> wouldn't want a PR that adds something like that as an example to the
> manpages?

No, these exotic env vars are on purpose not documented in the man
page, but separately in that markdown doc, since they come with a
lower stability guarantee and are a bit icky. People shouldn#t really
use them in the general case, they exist for local hacks only, and
local hacks have no place in the main documentation that the man pages are.

> Might make it easier for people to use it properly :-)

It's a bad idea to do what you are doing. I don't think we need to
make

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin