Re: how to let systemd hibernate start/stop the swap area?

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 06:24:09PM +1100, Michael Chapman wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2023, Barry wrote:
> [...]
> > If you want to run in ram only then you must turn off the kernel overcommit.
> > Have you done that? If not then you risk processes getting SEGV signals.
>
> Seriously. It's almost as if nobody here is actually reading anything of
> what I've written!
>
> EVERYTHING fits in RAM. The non-guest processes total perhaps a GB in
> total. The guest processes total maybe 200 GB in total. The server has
> more RAM than all of that.

  Your situation seems to be special. People in this thread seem to be
focused on generic Linux computer use-case.

> I know this works because I have literally done it on many, many
> hypervisors for over a decade.

  On the other hand, kernel 4.0, which greatly changed how swap works*,
was released half a decade ago. Maybe it's time to revisit assumptions?

* according to Chris Down's blog note linked by Lennart at the beginning
  of the thread.

--
Tomasz Torcz                                                       72->|   80->|
tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                               72->|   80->|