Re: Linking /lib64 to /usr/lib

On Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM Adrian Vovk <adrianvovk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well it would only link /lib64 to /usr/lib if both Debian-style and Fedora-style multilib don't exist and the loader is in lib, unless I'm mistaken? I'm pretty sure it should be harmless to Fedora and openSUSE.
>
> Maybe it'd be preferable for me to make a /usr/lib64->/usr/lib link, then let systemd think this is Fedora-style multilib? Would there be any bad side effects from that?

That's pretty much how Arch and a few others do it. It should be fine
since you are explicitly not doing multilib in your system.

> ---------------
>
> Maybe I should explain my reasoning:
>
> Part of the reason I didn't do the split is to be less surprising. My distro has no package management, nor does it have multilib. The /usr/lib64 vs /usr/lib split has always been surprising to me as a user of Fedora, and I'm never quite sure if I'll find something in lib or in lib64 (lib/systemd or lib64/systemd or both? lib/pkgconfig or lib64/pkgconfig or both? lib/locale or lib64/locale? You get the idea). Because I have no multilib, this split becomes unnecessary. Thus, I can resolve all the ambiguities above in favor of lib, which makes life easier and (imo) less surprising.

This is less ambiguous than you'd think. Outside of systemd putting
executables in /usr/lib/systemd (rather than /usr/libexec/systemd),
pretty much everything goes into the /usr/lib64 hierarchy for x86_64
stuff.

In ancient times, systemd needed to pick directories that existed in
FHS on / and /usr, which led to unit files and executables being
installed in /lib. There is no /share or /libexec directories, and no
one (back then) was interested in adding them. Today, systemd
basically expects /usr hierarchy, which has /usr/share and
/usr/libexec. I don't know if this will ever get fixed (probably not),
but it's basically an accident of history.

> I'm not the only distro doing this. Arch Linux is as well.
>
> I go a little further and actually make binaries I produce look for the loader in /usr/lib as well. This makes the system fully functional just with /usr present (at least that's the goal; still trying to remove references to /bin and friends). I don't actually need /lib64 at all but it should exist for backwards compatibility with existing binaries (as much as I would love to prevent people from running random binaries downloaded from the internet...)

This is probably not a good idea.

> Both of these changes are harmless because I'll never support multilib (it's entirely unnecessary for the software I distribute) and nobody should expect to be able to run a binary from distro A on distro B anyway.

"nobody should" != "nobody would".

> Anyway that's beside the point. I've been set up like this for a while now. Perhaps one day I'll switch back to a more proper layout, but that would be a change that will probably break things across the distro (again, due to the whole "what goes into lib vs lib64" confusion)

Well, it should be easy enough for you to just shift existing binaries
and tweak your build stuff so things go into lib64 going forward.