bridge vlan-aware

I have a physical interface named enp89s0 on a machine which runs VM with libvirt.These VMs have to run in a VLAN. The physical interface is attached to the default VLAN (1).

My config

br0.dev

[NetDev]
Name=br166
Kind=bridge

br0.network

[Match]
Name=br0

[Network]
VLAN=eth.1
VLAN=eth.166

[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=1

[BridgeVLAN]
VLAN=166

br166.netdev

[NetDev]
Name=br166
Kind=bridge

br166.network

[Match]
Name=br166
[Network]
DHCP=no

enp89s0.network

[Match]
Name=enp89s0
[Network]
Bridge=br0

eth.1.netdev

[NetDev]
Name=eth.1
Kind=vlan

[VLAN]
Id=1

eth.1.network

[Match]
Name=eth.1

[Network]
DHCP=yes

eth.166.netdev

[NetDev]
Name=eth.166
Kind=vlan
[VLAN]
Id=166

eth.166.network

[Match]
Name=eth.166
[Network]
Bridge=br166
DHCP=no

the interface eth.1 correctly gets UP and it receives the IP addr from the primary lan. when I connect my libvirt VMs to the br166 unfortunately they do not get any IPs from the VLAN 166 (DHCP is there so they should get it).
I'm sure my networkd config is off in some parts but not sure where. conceptually it should be correct.