Re: Support for unmerged-usr systems will be REMOVED in the second half of 2023

On 05/11/2022 11:32, Luca Boccassi wrote:

Does it also affect the command-line options "mount.usr=,
mount.usrfstype=, mount.usrflags=, usrhash=, systemd.verity_usr_data=,
systemd.verity_usr_hash=, systemd.verity_usr_options=" as per "man 7
kernel-command-line" ?

No, that is unrelated. This is about the ancient notion (that no initrd
tools support anymore) that you can boot userspace with /bin /lib /sbin and
no /usr, with the latter being set up late at boot. This is what is no
longer going to be supported.

Thank-you Luca; that makes more sense! I don't think everyone is as clear on the implications on what this affects just from the terse "split-usr /usr" since your description seems at odds with what Mantas wrote in an earlier reply with:

"What's finally being removed is support for having the rootfs itself mount /usr halfway through ..."

I'd have interpreted that as meaning using an fstab entry for /usr

I do a /lot/ of work with systemd-nspawn (subvol) containers with separate mounts for various parts of the OS file-system so wanted to be really clear on what is affected.