How is supposed DNS over TLS with NM supposed to work?

Hi,

I have noticed recent NM has connection.dnsovertls property. So far only systemd-resolved can use such property. But I am lost somehow. DNS over TLS requires two things to connect securely. IP address of target and also a SNI name of TLS certificate. That is needed to ensure I am not connecting to man in the middle, but to service I want. Of course trusted CA certificate must provide such certificate.

Now I have traveled on train and realized everyone in the same carriage can see all my DNS queries. So I would like to use DNS over TLS on airports or mass transit devices, any public places in general. But I don't think it is necessary on my home or work networks, where I trust no unwanted observer watches all my steps. So per-connection setting would be great. However, what servers should it use, when I set per-connection setting to true?

I think NM does not accept manual setting of TLS name per each IP. So I am unable to enter it in NM connection setting. Is there some way, how can I tell systemd-resolve to sometime use predefined set of DNS over TLS servers, including the service name? But other time accept anything DHCP supplies and do not insist on using DNS over TLS. Of course there has to be way to direct network specific domains to local servers from DHCP (or manual), not to global DoT upstream.

Is anything like that already implemented? Is the current state in NetworkManager-1.38.4 known to be incomplete and only work in progress? Is it already formulated somewhere as a vision, how it should work once it is finished?

Cheers,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík