Re: Finding network interface name in different distro

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 7:42 PM Etienne Champetier <champetier.etienne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

When changing distro or distro major versions, network interfaces'
names sometimes change.
For example on some Dell server running CentOS 7 the interface is
named em1 and running Alma 8 it's eno1.

I'm looking for a way to find the new interface name in advance
without booting the new OS.
One way I found is to unpack the initramfs, mount bind /sys, chroot,
and then run
udevadm test-builtin net_id /sys/class/net/INTF
Problem is that it doesn't give me right away the name according to
the NamePolicy in 99-default.link

Is there a command to get the future name right away ?

I do not like the biosdevname introduced stuff for machines with 4 or less interfaces, so another option is to disable the auto-naming:

biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0

on the kernel cmdline will do it.  Also, the biosdevname package needs to be installed.  This will yield the traditional ethX, wlanX, etc interface names that are ordered by default the way they used to be.  Of course, this does not scale well when you have hotplug devices with many pci ports and ethernet cards if you ever need to replace one card.  Just my $.02

Thanks
Etienne