systemd-repart help requested please

Greetings to you all,

I read through this, several times and was inspired to try build this, as an exercise to help me learn.

I've got this so far.  (probably worthy of a chuckle for some, but we all start somewhere right?)

anyways, when I do a:

    sudo mkosi

the image builds fine.  cool.

when i boot into with systemd-nspawn I see no such growing of partitions, and furthermore am prompted to enter a new root password.

The password thing I assume is because I need to remove the reference in mkosi, and pass this to systemd-nspawn, as described in the systemd.firstboot man page...[edit:confirmed], But the repart thing has me stumped.

Asking in IRC it was pointed out systemd-repart should just work automatically provided the partition info was sitting in /usr/lib/repart.d directory, but that it needs no MachineID set in order to qualify as "first.boot".

I don't have one set but one is being created in the process.  I'm missing a piece to this puzzle.

my eyes burn, my head hurts, and i'm no closer to understanding this, so i wondered if anyone on the list can succinctly explain this to me or perhaps provide a link to a basic working example i can try get my head around; provided of course, someone has already undertaken this exercise on their own, and wouldn't mind sharing.

Thank you for your time, apologies for the extra noise.

Coop.