Re: systemd-network and loopback

On Fri, Sep 9, 2022 at 10:40 AM Andrea Pappacoda <andrea@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wr
Il giorno ven 9 set 2022 alle 17:37:14 +02:00:00, Lennart Poettering
<lennart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
> People sometimes route stuff onto the loopback device in addition to
> the the usual 127.0.0.0/8 traffic so that it ends up on local sockets.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't fully understand the implications of
this, nor how sd-network is related - I'm quite ignorant when it comes
to networking :/

Well, easiest to explain is user apps that use tcp or udp sockets to communicate.  If they are on the same host, then huge gains can be achieved by using the loopback adapter (especially TCP comms).

You should google search for loopback MTUs..