Re: Problem: Renaming the USB network interface makes SYSTEMD_WANTS not working

On 28.08.2022 23:35, Charles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Adding NAME="mywifi" to an udev rule causes the SYSTEMD_WANTS service to not be executed. Removing NAME="mywifi" and the service is executed. How come?
> ​
>
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="...", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="test.service"
>
> /etc/systemd/system/test.service
>
>> [Service]
>> Type=simple
>> ExecStart=/bin/echo %n started!
>
> First try, it works:
> I type:
>
>> # journalctl -f -u test.service
>
> I plug the USB Wi-Fi device and it prints:
>
>> "test.service started!"
>
> Note that ip link show returns wlan1.
>
> Now I add NAME="mywifi" which gives:
>
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules
>> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="...", NAME="mywifi", TAG+="systemd", ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="test.service"
>
> I plug the USB Wi-Fi device and it prints nothing.
> Note that ip link show returns mywifi.
> I remove NAME="mywifi" and it prints "test.service started!" again.

My best guess is that rename results in addition uevent which wipes out
previous udev device state including SYTSEMD_WANTS. Try "udevadm
monitor" to see the difference.

General consensus is that you should use

ACTION!="remove"

instead of explicit

ACTION=="add"

unless you really want different rules for different uevents.