Antw: [EXT] Re: [systemd‑devel] Feedback sought: can we drop cgroupv1 support soon?

>>> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 22.07.2022 um 12:15
in
Nachricht <Ytp4phEdreAJAdpl@gardel-login>:
> On Do, 21.07.22 16:24, Stéphane Graber (stgraber@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I believe Christian may have relayed some of this already but on my
>> side, as much as I can sympathize with the annoyance of having to
>> support both cgroup1 and cgroup2 side by side, I feel that we're sadly
>> nowhere near the cut off point.
>>
>> >From what I can gather from various stats we have, over 90% of LXD
>> users are still on distributions relying on CGroup1.
>> That's because most of them are using LTS releases of server
>> distributions and those only somewhat recently made the jump to
>> cgroup2:
>>  ‑ RHEL 9 in May 2022
>>  ‑ Ubuntu 22.04 LTS in April 2022
>>  ‑ Debian 11 in August 2021
>>
>> OpenSUSE is still on cgroup1 by default in 15.4 for some reason.
>> All this is also excluding our two largest users, Chromebooks and QNAP
>> NASes, neither of them made the switch yet.
>
> At some point I feel no sympathy there. If google/qnap/suse still are
> stuck in cgroupv1 land, then that's on them, we shouldn't allow
> ourselves to be held hostage by that.
>
> I mean, that Google isn't forward looking in these things is well
> known, but I am a bit surprised SUSE is still so far back.

Well, openSUSE actually is rather equivalent to SLES15 (which exists for some
years now).
I guess they didn't want to switch within a major release.
Everybody is free to file an "enhancement" request, at opensuse's bugzilla,
however.

Regards,
Ulrich