Re: Disabling cpufreq/boost at boot time sometimes fails

On 13/07/2022 00:35, Silvio Knizek wrote:
Am Dienstag, dem 12.07.2022 um 18:55 +0200 schrieb Thomas HUMMEL:

Hi,

Hello,

thanks for your answer

first of all, no need for /sys in /etc/fstab. /sys will _always_ be
mounted by systemd.

Ok. This must be put by our image generating tool.

Second, this sounds really depending on your used driver (acpi, amd, or
intel). Check out the documentation at
https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pm/cpufreq.html

Well, this states:

"During the initialization of the kernel, the CPUFreq core creates a sysfs directory (kobject) called cpufreq under /sys/devices/system/cpu/."

This must explain why my modprobe.d (of acpi_cpufreq) seems to always work but not why tmpfiles.d or a .service unit :

As a matter of fact, I assume that since the /sys files seem to be created "at initialisation" or more precisely for the boost file, at driver, is exposed by the kernel module, this should be done long before systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service or my custom service are run ?

The only reason I can think of for those 2 latter setup to fail is that driver has not been loaded yet, hence the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost file not existing yet, but I find this weird.

Question I have is: why do you want to disable boosting?

One reason is because of rack density/input pdu power ratio.
Another might be performance consistency (at least for benching)

Thanks for your help

--
Thomas HUMMEL