Re: Prefix delegation and IPv6 subnetting

On 09/07/2022 23.11, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
Mailing list is not web forum where you can scroll up to read previous
posts. On mailing list you are expected to include enough context from
the previous message. Without going to archives and searching for your
previous mail how should one know what Net0 etc means?
Point taken. I'll have your advice in mind in the future. I'm working on putting a post on my web page on what I did to get where I got. I'll post a notice here when I get it published.

Having <PF> in one line and full prefix in another line does not help in
understanding configuration. Is <PF> equal 2a06:4000:8073?
Yes. I had intended to anonymise the addresses but obviously failed miserably . Now you know everything about me 😉

So you had to use external tool to implement prefix sub-delegation.
Which just confirms that it is not possible with systemd-networkd.
I had hoped it was possible to do it using systemd-networkd only but having to realise that it can't be done is now part of 'lessons learned' from this exercise.
Now on to routing. Upstream routing is easy thanks to the default
routes, but how do I get the downstream routes established? The delegating router should add a route for the chosen prefix to the
requesting router, but can networkd do it or should I start looking at
routing protocols?

It is amazing how hard this is. See as example

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/28106/dhcpv6-prefix-delegation-server-for-linux

The suggested patch to ISC-DHCPD sounds good, but unfortunately it is
not upstream.

https://github.com/mpalmer/isc-dhcp/blob/mpalmer/client-address-data-expression/contrib/prefix-delegation-routing.rb
I discussed this with a routing knowable friend of mine earlier today and he suggested that OSPF6 might do the job. He sounded rather convincing so I'll give it a try. I might fail there too...

Bent