Re: resolved vs. DNS servers listening on Linux dummy interfaces

On Mon, May 9, 2022, 16:35 Peter Mattern <pmattern@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, Petr.

 > Do you need any systemd-resolved specific features?
Primarily, it's about the way directive Domains allows for directing
queries to particular DNS servers based on the queries' domains.
I'm using it to restrict the ISP's DNS server to the ISP's domain, use a
local DNS server for local subdomains and have a DNS server like Quad 9
serve all the rest.
This can be achieved with other applications, too, e. g. dnsmasq. But I
find it more handy to configure with networkd/resolved, in particular,
when these are already in use anyway.

 > I don't think resolved considers it common to have more than one DNS
server on the localhost.
As I understand it, it's the very purpose of directive Domains to have
systemd-resolved interact with various different DNS servers. So why
shouldn't one of these run on the same host as resolved?

 > unbound, knot-resolver
These aren't an option. I do not need a cache only, but want to serve
the said local-only subdomain, which also needs to comprise RRs other
than [AAA]A like CNAME, MX or TXT.

I heard Unbound handles that quite well. See the `local-data` option.

(As does BIND9 of course.)