Re: rename a block device

On Mo, 25.04.22 16:25, Pascal (patatetom@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> hi,
>
> the udev rules prohibit renaming anything other than a network device :
> what is (would be) the way to really rename a block device (not just to
> create a symbolic link) ?

This functionality does not exist in the kernel to my knowledge. And
the uevents for renaming network interface devices are messy enough to
handle, let's please not add this for another subsystem!

Are you aware of the udev.blockdev_read_only kernel cmdline option
btw?

(note that Linux is broken, marking a block device read-only actually
is cosmetics mostly. File systems you mount from them may and do still
write to the devices happily regardless whether read-only or
not. Event through loopbck devices actually. You need to pass
'norecovery' as mount option to relevant file systems if you want
true read-only access. It's crazy, if you ask me)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin