Re: Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 4:59 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mi, 06.04.22 11:24, Mike Gilbert (floppym@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > We are not likely to require merging of / and /usr for the foreseeable
> > future. We are a "rolling release" distro and basically never require
> > our users to re-install, which makes large file system migrations
> > difficult. Also, many of our users would resist any attempt to force
> > merged-/usr on them.
>
> So, my guess would be that the people who dislike merged-/usr are also
> the ones who dislike systemd, no? i.e. do they really matter if we are
> talking about what to support in systemd? They'd not use our stuff
> anyway, so why bother?

There's probably a large overlap between users who don't like systemd
and users who don't like merged-/usr. I would guess we don't have a
critical mass of users/developers running systemd.

I could probably force the users who do run systemd to migrate to
merged-/usr, but I don't really see much benefit from that if all
other packages in Gentoo still need to support both configurations.