all numeric usernames not allowed in systemd (version 245 onward)

Hello,

I gather from the discussion on https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/15141 that all numeric usernames would no longer be supported on servers running systemd version 245 onward. This was also reiterated by Frantisek and Lennart (thank you for your email responses and for redirecting me to this mailing list.)

While I completely understand the motivation to do this, my concern is that this change will break logins for users on a lot of servers that upgrade to the new systemd.

Is there any chance systemd could support a configuration option in the future to get the earlier "all numeric" user logins to work? With an understanding that it would be at the users own risk?

Are there any pam_systemd configuration options under consideration that might help anyone looking for such functionality? Or is the only option "not to upgrade" for someone interested in preserving their all numeric usernames?

Regards,
Nikhil.