Re: Antw: [EXT] Dropping split-usr/unmerged-usr support

On Wed, 2022-04-06 at 06:51 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:

> > > Honestly to me the requirement that /usr be part of the root
> > > filesystem never had a reasonable argument.
> > > Instead I think systemd quit the concept of a simple scaled-down
> > > subset to bring up the system.
> > > Also with initrd/dracut the concept is even more odd, because the
> > > /usr found there is just some arbitrary subset of the real /usr
> > > (similar for other filesystems).
> > > So why couldn't that work with a really scaled-down /sbin?

> > > Symlinking /sbin or /usr/sbin binaries to /usr is also a bad concept
> > > IMHO.
> > >
> > > It seems systemd is the new Microsoft ("We know what is good for you;
> > > just accept it!") ;-)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ulrich
> >
> > Sorry, but you are about ~10 years late to this debate :-) The question
> > today is not whether it's good or bad, but who's left to do the switch.
> >
> > We know Fedora/RHEL/CentOS/SUSE/Arch/Ubuntu have done the switch, and
> > presumably any of their derivatives.
> >
> > We know Debian is, er, working on it, as per the most recent article on
> > LWN.
> >

> Debian is expected to complete this with Debian 12, I believe.

Yeah it's, uhm, complicated :-) Working on it...

> > What about other distros that are not derivatives of the aboves and
> > that use systemd? Does anybody have any insight?
> >

> OpenMandriva and Yocto both haven't done the switch yet, as far as I'm
> aware. Might be worth reaching out to them and finding out when
> they're going to do it.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with OpenMandriva at all, is anyone here? Any
pointers on where to reach out to?

Paul, what about the Yocto side? There's the 'usrmerge' DISTRO_FEATURE,
any plans of making that the default, or at least implicitly enabled if
the 'systemd' DISTRO_FEATURE is enabled?

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi