Re: What is wrong with my .path setup?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022, 23:27 John Ioannidis <systemd-devel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Here are my .path and .service files:

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/trigg.path
[Path]
DirectoryNotEmpty=/root/trigger
MakeDirectory=true

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/trigg.service
[Unit]
Description=Trigger Service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/touch /root/wastriggered
Type=oneshot

Now, after robooting, I would have expected that /root/trigger would exist; it does not. And, of course, creating it manually and touching a file in there does not trigger the path.

What am I missing? I have successfully used .path units in the past, and what I'm doing here looks right; unfortunately I do not have access to those old machines any more (previous employer).

Seems like there's nothing that would activate your .path unit itself – path watches or timer schedules are only established while the .path or the .timer is "started". So you will usually need:

[Install]
WantedBy=paths.target

and the corresponding 'systemctl enable'.