Re: network interface scripting

On Sat, Feb 5, 2022 at 9:46 AM Kamil Jońca <kjonca@xxxxx> wrote:

Hello.

Current situation:
debian laptop with interfaces defined in /etc/network/interfaces
+ resolvconf + dnsmasq packages and bunch of scripts wchich configures network
(routes and name resolving) according to interfaces and vpn up down.
For example
1.  I am connected to  home1 network (connected by wifi, no default
    routing ), this network sets routing to some subnets with dhcp option
    121 (and dhclient scripts handles this)
2. I am connected via etch to router with default gateway
3. I am connected to work1 network via openvpn tunnel.
4. I am connected to work2 network via ipsec gateway.

I want to (and with my current config this is done)
that:
1. proper routes are established (especially these with option 121)
2. name resolving is properly configured:
  ie. home1.tld DNS queries are forwarded to home1 network
      work1.tld DNS queries are forwarded to work1 network (via openvpn tunnel)
      work2.tld DNS queries are forwarded to work2 network (via ipsec
      tunnel)
      rest DNS is forwarded to default gateway

Systemd-networkd has supported the "classless static routes" option since v215.

Per-suffix query forwarding is mostly built into systemd-resolved, although with the restriction that domains/nameservers are grouped by interface – so your IPsec tunnel will need its own interface (e.g. xfrmi0, or at least a 'dummy0' interface to stand in). The DNS= and Domains= configuration can be loaded either from networkd's .network files, or through resolvectl, or systemd's compat implementation of the `resolvconf` tool.

Netplan is, as far as I know, an Ubuntu-specific tool that just generates systemd-networkd (or NetworkManager) configs. In case you wanted those to be YAML-based.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas