Re: eth2: Failed to rename network interface 6 from 'eth2' to 'eno1': File exists

On 2022-01-04 16:14:16, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

You have two interfaces which export the same onboard interface index.
There is not much udev can do here; the only option is to disable
onboard interface name policy. The attributes that are used by udev
are "acpi_index"  and "index". Check values of these attributes for
all interfaces.

I will check, but please note that I didn't enable this. AFAIU Debian
uses the settings according to the guidelines of upstream.

As is obvious from the log you provided, they did not "keep" their
names but were renamed. Whether this is correct depends on rules your
distribution is using.

AFAICS the kernel of today still assigns the "legacy" interface names,
which are renamed by udev later. I would suggest to improve conflict
handling in udev, e.g. by falling back to the "non-onboard" interface
names for renaming, instead of an exit(1). This makes sure that only
the on-board interfaces are affected, not a random set of interfaces
depending upon the discovery sequence.

Regards

Harri