Context for "exitrd"

Hi all,

I'm interested in working on this item from the TODO file:

* add concept for "exitrd" as inverse of "initrd", that we can transition to at   shutdown, and has similar security semantics. This should then take the place   of dracut's shutdown logic. Should probably support sysexts too. Care needs   to be taken that the resulting logic ends up in RAM, i.e. is copied out of
  on-disk storage.

I'm wondering if anyone can elaborate/give context for this. Specifically, what is the motivation for replacing the dracut shutdown logic with exitrd? It seems like dracut already handles shutdown processes within a ramdisk/fs. And as I understand, initrd is not part of systemd (merely interfaced with), so why are we bringing this "exitrd" under the umbrella of systemd?

Additionally, is there any source code I can reference for an idea of how to implement this?

Regards,
Albert