Re: the need for a discoverable sub-volumes specification

(I'm sorta not doing a great job of using "sub-volume" to mean
generically any of Btrfs subvolume or a directory or a logical volume,
so hopefully anyone still following can make the leap that I don't
intend this spec to be Btrfs specific. I like it being general
purpose.)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021 at 6:57 AM Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The way btrfs is used in openSUSE is based on systems from ten years
> ago. A lot has changed since then. Now with the idea to have /usr on a
> separate read-only subvolume the current model doesn't really work very
> well anymore IMO. So I think there's a window of opportunity to change
> the way openSUSE does things :-)

ZFS uses volume and user properties which we could probably mimic with
xattr. I thought I asked about xattr instead of subvolume names at one
point in the thread but I don't see it. So instead of using subvolume
names, what about stuffing this information in xattr? My gut instinct
is this is less transparent and user friendly, it requires more tools
to know how to user to troubleshoot and fix, etc.

--
Chris Murphy