Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: the need for a discoverable sub-volumes specification

On 28/12/2021 19:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
Yeah how to handle /boot gives me headaches. We have a kind of
rollback, the possibility of choosing among kernels. But which kernels
are bootable depends on the /usr its paired with. We need a mechanism
to match /boot and /usr together, so that the user doesn't get stuck
choosing a kernel version for which the modules don't exist in an
older generation /usr. And then does this imply some additional
functionality in the bootloader to achieve it, or should this
information be fully encapsulated in Boot Loader Spec compliant
snippets?

And then you've got dual-boot setups.

I've always had a single /boot on a multi-distro system. SUSE messed things up nicely by rewriting my grub/cfg, such that SUSE wouldn't boot, but nor would gentoo.

Fixed it, tried to upgrade gentoo, and discovered that gentoo detected I had both a boot directory and a boot partition, so it demanded to update the boot partition (I wanted it to update the directory, so I could manually merge the config). That cost me ages, trying to work out where the heck my initrd was disappearing and what was going on ...

About the only thing you can do is don't insist you know better than the user, and if they tell you where to stash your /boot stuff, do as you're told ... :-) It's then their problem to sort it out.

Cheers,
Wol