Re: Run reboot as normal user

On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 10:11 AM Mohamed Ali Fodha <fodha.mohamed.ali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I want to run reboot as normal user using the following command:
dbus-send --system --print-reply --reply-timeout=2000 --type=method_call --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1 org.freedesktop.login1.Manager.Reboot boolean:false

but I got a Permission denied error.

I checked that verify_shutdown_creds (in logind-dbus.c) calls bus_verify_polkit_async, could it be the reason why I got permission denied error while polkit is not installed?

Yes. Polkit is the authorization system that decides whether to allow normal users to do privileged actions or not.

I don't want to use Polkit or sudo, is there any solution ?

No.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas