Re: no log information about why machine is sleeping

On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 15:24:25 -0700, Luis Chamberlain wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 05:11:21PM -0400, George Avrunin wrote:
> > Aug 07 14:09:22 ext.math.umass.edu kernel: ACPI: Preparing to enter
> > system sleep state S3
>
> That's suspend to ram. Depending on the distribution it may or not be a
> a default after a period of time of idle. The idea is that moving a
> mouse would resume it. For desktops this is stupid. Try:
>
> systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target
> hybrid-sleep.targe
>
> To re-enable:
>
> sudo systemctl unmask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target
> hybrid-sleep.target
>
>   Luis

Thanks, masking the sleep, etc., targets will presumably stop it.

But I don't think it was a default setting to suspend after a period of
being idle, at least not once the machine was back on AC power (unless
something got reset somehow). This machine is used as a mail and web
server, as well as for some computations that my students and postdoc run
remotely, and it's never done this before when there was no activity at
the console. (And during the pandemic, there's been very little activity
at the console--we've all mostly been working from home.)

So I'd still like to understand what caused it to start the suspend
operation. If there's an easy way to get just a little bit more logging
about that, it would help me and probably others.

  George