Re: Mounting a new device to a mount point with an old (auto-generated) but inactive mount unit triggers an immediate unmount

Hey Mantas,

On 08/07/2021 10:39, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:

I am then just wondering why the issue referred to (https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1741) is still open?
Are there still further plans to make systemd properly recognize that the inactive unit (pointing to a mount point that is used in a new and active unit) actually is superseeded and unmounting it makes now sense as that hits the new, working, active mount.

I *think* this was supposed to improve with v249:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/19322

nice, thanks a bunch for the pointers!

In any case I'd suggest then is to somehow give a warning to the user as with changes to the systemd units:
  "Warning: myfancyservice.service changed on disk. Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units."

systemd can't make non-systemd tools (such as `mount`) display warnings.

yeah, that's certainly true and it's much better to not need any warnings anyways .

Regards

Christian