Re: Why are core dumps named vgcore.*?

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 9:04 AM Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

I'm developing a program that dumps core on some failed assertions. I noticed that the core dumps are created in the user directory as vgcore.<PID>.

This doesn't sound like a coredumpctl-managed core dump at all. In fact it sounds like the dump was created in userspace by Valgrind. (Systemd-managed core dumps would always go to /var/lib/systemd/coredump, not to the cwd.)

Where does the name vgcore come from?

I used codesearch.debian.net to track it down to valgrind's m_coredump component.

And is it OK to remove just those files, or does coredumpctl store additional infos?

Most likely coredumpctl doesn't have *any* information about this dump, since it didn't go through the kernel or systemd in the first place.

But in general, coredumpctl is fine with missing/removed coredump files -- that's part of the normal operation; actual dumps are cleaned out much faster than the corresponding journal entries. You'll probably already see some of them marked "missing" in the list.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas