Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Adding USB ID to hwdb/usb.ids

Nachricht <YLeYEY1Em19/d+xQ@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 03:48:41PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> > Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
>>
>> sorry, but we have 2021
>>
>> * non‑https is a warning in most browsers
>> * certifictes are free and automated these days
>> * https is not only about encryption
>>
>> the point of https is
>>
>> a) you are connected to the host you think
>> b) no manipulation on the wire
>>
>> the encryption is not really the point
>
> Then don't connect to the site if you don't want the data there.  Trying
> to tell others what to do with their spare time in maintaining a
> resource for all operating systems to use is a bit, well, you know...

I think any website that has a form to fill in should offer https.
In the past there were websites asking for user and password without offering
https.
I also think even a self-signed certificate is better tan no certificate at
all, but in the times of let'S encrypt setting up https shouldn't be a big
issue.

All my opinion...

Regards,
Ulrich

If I am not misinterpreting, Mr. Biden's recent cyber security execute order [1] will put a weight on how data is transferred, at least in the US, at least for the agencies which will probably ripple itself to the ordinary user eventually.

Multiple mentions of "encryption for data at rest and in transit".

Umut