Re: DHCP6 client failing when /etc is mounted as overlayfs

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Alessandro Tagliapietra <tagliapietra.alessandro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm using yocto to create a custom linux image for a raspberry pi.
We have an "agent" that writes /etc/systemd/network/20-eth.network when the final user wants to have a static IP address and we remove the file when they switch back to DHCP.

After creating/deleting the file above we run `networkctl reload && networkctl reconfigure eth0`.
We mount the overlayfs with a custom .mount unit.

We've noticed that DHCP works fine if systemd-networkd starts before we mount the overlayfs but it doesn't if systemd-networkd is restarted/reconfigured after the folder is mounted or started after the overlay .mount unit.

Every interface DHCP fails with:

DHCPv6 CLIENT: Failed to set DUID-EN: No medium found
eth0: DHCP6 CLIENT: Failed to set DUID: No medium found

My guess is that it's related to /etc/machine-id somehow becoming inaccessible, since networkd's DUID-EN (DUIDType=vendor) is based on that.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas