Re: Q: asymmetry of ExecStop and ExecStart

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 1:42 PM Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 1:35 PM Ulrich Windl
<Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have two services defined, one using ExecStart only, the other ExecStop only.
> Then I discovered some asymmetry:
> systemd is still starting the service with the ExecStop only, while the one with the ExecStart only never is stopped.
>
> Is that intended, or do I have some configuration error in the ExecStart only service?
>
> The units look like this:
> # /usr/lib/systemd/system/dellcd-log-start.service
> [Unit]
> Description=Log Start on Dell LCD
> Documentation=man:dellcd(1)
> DefaultDependencies=no
> After=local-fs.target
> Before=sysinit.target
> Requires=local-fs.target
> ConditionPathExists=/usr/bin/...
>
> [Service]
> Type=oneshot
> TimeoutSec=10
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/...

Type=oneshot services go from "starting" directly to "dead"; they are
never active and so there is nothing to stop.

Unless they have RemainAfterExit=yes. See e.g. nftables.service or systemd-user-sessions.service.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas