Re: Q; syslog.socket dependency

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 13:17 Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

I have a unit that uses logger, and I want to run it after syslog is available. So I added syslog.socket as dependency, but it fails:
Mar 11 12:11:02 jeos1 systemd[1]: syslog.socket: Socket service syslog.service not loaded, refusing.
Mar 11 12:11:02 jeos1 systemd[1]: Failed to listen on Syslog Socket.

Doesn't journald also "provide" syslog.socket?

Yes but no. "Syslog.socket" is specifically for internal forwarding *from* journald to an external syslogd.

What you're looking for (the journald *input* socket that's used by other programs) is actually "systemd-journald-dev-log.socket".

Usually there should be no need to explicitly order against it, as normal services are already indirectly ordered after sockets.target as a whole. You'll only need an After if you're using DefaultDependencies=no.