Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Still confused with socket activation

Am 08.02.21 um 10:10 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 06.02.2021 um 09:14 in
Nachricht <09aa6a69-ee37-ffea-c4fd-e4c5d3327023@xxxxxxxxx>:
04.02.2021 10:47, Ulrich Windl пишет:
I had provided the full units yesterday. Basically I don't know what to do:

just want to start the service and its sockets at a specific point in time

and
also want to stop those at another time.

We are going in circles. socket unit is optimization that allows you to
start service unit on demand instead of starting it unconditionally. If
you want to start service unit in controlled way (and not when someone
decides to connect to socket) you should not use socket unit. Period.

All I want is that the sockets that need to listen actually do listen when the
service start.
It seems systemd messes with that in a bad way

this is *not* what systemd-sockets are for
they are for service is started at the first connect

what you want is the classical "i start a service and it listens, i stop a service and it don't listen any longer"

so just do that and leave socket-activation alone, no need for any .socket unit at all

in other words:

* you don't want socket activation
* just do not use socket activation