Re: Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] emergency shutdown, don't wait for timeouts

Am 07.01.21 um 09:15 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 06.01.2021 um 03:02 in
Nachricht
<CAJCQCtTu23a3W56tfDDy061mZvBiXRUaAhuue=W0A6CSwM44Yw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 12:43 PM Phillip Susi <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is too long for a desktop or laptop use case. It should be around
15‑20 seconds. It's completely reasonable for users to reach for the
power button and force it off by 30 seconds.

Have you ever tried shutting down multiple virtual machines having disks on a
slow medium?

where is the problem?

my machines shutdown within a few seconds as lonmg there is no systemd-unit hanging around for minutes without a good reason

everytime in the past 10 years when shutown took more than 5 seconds it was some systemd-unit doing meditation

happens regulary when i reboot our HP microserver on CentOS7 with RAID10 and LUKS on top of it - manually unlocked and mounted with a login script to enter the password

and no that never finishes, it always runs in a timeout, no matter how long the timeout is while my shutdown alias is closing LUKS and unmounting the filesystem *before* issue "reboot" or "poweroff"

[root@nfs:~]$ which reboot
alias reboot='/usr/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/storage-services.sh stop; /usr/bin/systemctl reboot'

Fedora Workstation Working Group is tracking an issue expressly to get
to around 20 seconds (or better).
https://pagure.io/fedora‑workstation/issue/163

It is a given there will be some kind of state or data loss by just
forcing a shutdown. I think what we need is the console, revealed by
ESC, needs to contain sufficient information on what and why the
reboot/shutdown is being held back. So that we can figure out why
those processes aren't terminating fast enough and get them fixed.

There may be bugs, and there may be processes that simply take time.

yes, and in case the stuff with the bugs is delaying important services which takes longer at it's own to even begin to stop you havbe a problem

for a unit which takes time for good reasons you can configure that in the unit itself, no reason that everything waits for minutes

A journaled file system should just do log replay at the next mount
and the file system itself will be fine. Fine means consistent. But

That's nonsense: I'd prefer to wait and NOT lose data.

if the battery goes empty you will lose data for sure

often the calculation how long the UPS can hold power isn't true when batteries get older and at the point a emergency shutdown is needed you have less time than expected