Re: Antw: Re: Antw: [EXT] emergency shutdown, don't wait for timeouts

Am 04.01.21 um 16:04 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 04.01.2021 um 14:53 in
Nachricht <49b8413f-3131-658f-e21a-a1ee448a004a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Am 04.01.21 um 13:42 schrieb Ulrich Windl:
Germano Massullo <germano.massullo@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 27.12.2020 um
14:26 in
Nachricht <df991822-83cf-85e1-5bc0-c6ec99f9cac0@xxxxxxxxx>:
Good day, I recently joined apcupsd (APC UPS Power Control Daemon)
package maintainers on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL.
After a power failure, apcupsd shuts down the system with a command
almost identical to
shutdown ‑h ‑H now
Usually when you normally shutdown your system, you may notice certain
services taking too much time to terminate and triggering a timeout
value before systemd forces them to terminate. I would like to ask if
there is a way to force the system to shutdown without waiting for these
timeouts in case an emergency like a power failure.

Basically if the UPS cannot provide power for at least 3 minutes, it's
simply
the wrong UPS (IMHO)

topic missed - it makes no difference if it can hold the power 3
minutes, 3 hours or even 3 days at the point where it decides "i need to
shutdown everything because the battery goes empty"

Harald,

I did not say anything against shutting down everything. Maybe re-read

but the topic is when it's at the point that a shutdown is necessary and the shutdown hangs for no good reason "if the UPS cannot provide power for at least 3 minutes" is simply off-topic

the topic is that the shutdown needs to be finished before the UPS is empty even if it provided UPS power over hours before

there is nothing like "the right UPS" when the damned machine hangs 15 minutes waiting to finish user-manager units as one well known example over years