Re: Timestamps in journal during suspend/resume

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:31 PM Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:46 PM Paul Menzel <pmenzel+systemd-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At least to me, some of the entries with timestamps from resuming should
have timestamps from suspending. Is the reason, that “suspend message“
was only written to the journal after resume?

Probably because the journald process (like all other userspace processes) had already been frozen when those messages were written to dmesg, so it couldn't really receive them.

Is there a way to access the Linux kernel timestamp from within the journal?

Yes, as the _SOURCE_MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP field. (It's stored in microseconds, while dmesg shows it in seconds.)

journalctl -o json _TRANSPORT=kernel | jq -r '"[\(._SOURCE_MONOTONIC_TIMESTAMP | tonumber / 1000000)] \(.MESSAGE)"'

(I forgot to include the SYSLOG_IDENTIFIER field in the output, but you get the idea.)

--
Mantas Mikulėnas