Re: Mounting / as writable without in `/etc/fstab`

Dear Mantas,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Am 26.11.20 um 09:12 schrieb Mantas Mikulėnas:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 5:23 PM Paul Menzel wrote:

Is an entry for / in `/etc/fstab` still needed, or is there a systemd
way of doing it?

That *is* the systemd way -- the fstab entry will be read by
systemd-remount-fs(8) and the new mount options applied.

Thank you. That wasn’t clear to me.

Installing Debian bullseye/testing with the Debian Installer, it creates
a GPT and `/etc/fstab`. [...]
Commenting out the entries for `/`, the root partition is mounted as
read-only.

      $ findmnt /
      TARGET SOURCE         FSTYPE OPTIONS
      /      /dev/nvme0n1p2 ext4   ro,relatime

Shouldn’t it be mounted as writable?

No, if you had it initially mounted with 'ro' and did not leave any
instructions for remounting, then it won't be remounted...

Understood.

      $ sudo /lib/systemd/systemd-remount-fs
      $ findmnt /
      TARGET SOURCE         FSTYPE OPTIONS
      /      /dev/nvme0n1p2 ext4   rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro

Sorry, that was my confusion. I checked it again, and I messed up during testing. This result was with the entry for / present in `/etc/fstab`, that means not commented out.

The log says:

      [    2.320133] systemd[179]: /usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator succeeded.

I can work around it changing `ro` to `rw` on the Linux command line,
but I thought, it is possible without that.

I would say that having the initramfs directly mount the filesystem as rw
is the *preferred method*, not a workaround... Of course it depends on how
your distro's initramfs wants to work, but at least that's what Arch does
-- since fsck is run from the initramfs, there's not much point in later
mounting it ro at all.

Sorry, I didn’t understand that last paragraph. I thought, it’s desirable to first mount it ro, so fsck can run, and then remount it as read-writable?

My use case is to boot without initramfs. But, now that I know, that `/etc/fstab` is there to stay, I know what to do.

Kind regards,

Paul