Re: Antw: [EXT] Re: Journald retaining logs for only 10 days

Hi,

Interesting dicussion, here is one more view point. Few months back we tried to
limit systemd journald output to retain a few MB of logs on embedded,
headless boxes on a tiny read-write partition in case something goes horribly wrong
on them, but failed to get an accurate calculation of upper limit for journald log
output. The settings in journald size limits did not seem to be connected to the actual
log file sizes on disk which were always quite a bit larger than limits we set.

We could not spare a dedicated partition and I did not see the point of setting
file system quota limits as journald runs as root.

So it would really be nice to have some option to set a hard limit for the
on-disk journald output files. A limit on some intermediate log output format is nice
and works on server and desktop systems where plenty of read-write storage is available,
but for more embedded boxes it wasn't useful.

Cheers,

-Mikko