systemd-rfkill.service: Failed to set up special execution directory in /var/lib: Read-only file system

I have a Raspberry Pi-based development kiosk system which has been working fine for ages. But without having made any changes that I can relate to the boot sequence, it now errors on startup with multiple:

[FAILED] Failed to start Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status

errors, and also a single

  [FAILED] Failed to start Set console font and keymap

error.

Clearly these relate to the read-only filesystem but that hasn't changed so I don't see why I am now getting errors unless there was always a race condition that I'm now experiencing for the first time?

Any suggestions for how to resolve these? (Do I even need rfkill in a kiosk environment? I tried to disable it but that doesn't appear to have any impact.)

--
Mark Rogers